Skip to content ↓


Starting School

Warboys Primary Academy takes children from the villages of Warboys, Old Hurst and Woodhurst and Warboys Fen. Although children from outside these villages do attend our school.

Children start school in the year in which they become 5, i.e. from 1 September. It is the school's policy to 'stagger' the admission of reception children in the Autumn Term. The induction programme for children starts the Summer Term before they officially start school. We stagger the intake within the first two weeks of the Autumn Term until all children are attending full-time. The standard admission number for each academic year is 60 children. The governors follow the LA admissions policy for children, which is to admit catchment area children up to the standard number for each year or the overall standard number. In the event of an admission being refused, the following selection criteria will be used if spaces are available:

  • Children with a statement of special educational need which names the school or for whom this is the only school that can meet their long-term medical needs.
  • Children living in the catchment area with a sibling at the school at the time of admission.
  • Children living in the catchment area.
  • Children living outside the catchment area who have a sibling at the school at the time of admission.
  • Children living outside the catchment area who have been unable to gain a place in their catchment area school because of oversubscription.
  • In case of equal merit, priority will go first to the children who are looked after (i.e. in public care) and then to children living nearest the school according to the shortest available travel route.

A school bus is provided for children living in Woodhurst, Old Hurst and on the Fen. Children over 8 years and travelling by bus within 3 miles of the school have to pay transport fees. All children who travel on the buses must have a bus pass issued by the transport department at Shire Hall in Cambridge. Application forms may be obtained from the school office. If you require further information call the number below.

Mid-Phase Transfer

If you would like your child to change schools during the year this is usually treated as a mid-phase transfer. You will probably be asked to complete a mid-phase transfer form and hand it to your current school (if in Cambridgeshire). If you are thinking of moving your child from their current school please contact the admissions team below.

Please follow the link for Cambridgeshire County Council In-year admissions.

Contact Information


FIRST STEPS: Admission to Primary School: A Guide for Parents

This booklet (above link) has been written by Cambridgeshire County council especially for parents and carers of children who are due to start primary school either for the first time or for those who are transferring to junior or middle school.

The admissions team for Cambridgeshire also have a webpage on the County's website.

Please follow the link for Cambridgeshire County Council School admission appeals.

Additional contact routes are:

Admissions Team
Box No: CC1206
Castle Court
Castle Hill

Telephone: 0345 045 1370

School Transport

The transport department also have a webpage on the County's website but can also be contacted on 0345 045 5208 or by email to:

Contact Us

Humberdale Way, Warboys, Huntingdon Cambridgeshire PE28 2RX

01487 822317