Teaching and Learning of Phonics
Phonics is all about using:
SKILLS for reading and spelling + KNOWLEDGE of the alphabet.
We use the Letters and Sounds Scheme to support the teaching of Phonics
Everyday the children have a 20 minutes Phonic session.
- Phoneme teach (new)
- Apply (activities)
- Tricky word
We have 4 days of new sounds and 1 day revisit/apply.
We assess the children each Half Term to address any sounds that need recapping.
In May we have a Phonics Screening Check which is an assessment to confirm whether pupils have learnt their letter sounds and whether they can use them to decode and read a range of words of increasing phonic complexity.
- Phonemes: The smallest units of sound that are found within a word
- Grapheme: The spelling of the sound e.g. Th
- Diagraph: Two letters that make one sound when read
- Trigraphs: Three letters that make one sound
- CVC: Stands for consonant, vowel, consonant.
- Segmenting: Breaking up a word into its sounds.
- Blending : Putting the sounds together to read a word
- Tricky words: Words that cannot easily be decoded